Image Upload

File size must be less than 500kb

File types (jpg, png, gif)






house-fire-warning
CFA file photo: house fire caused by electrical appliances.

House fire warning

House fire warning

CFA file photo: house fire caused by electrical appliances.

Don’t power a house fire: CFA

The cooler weather is well and truly here which means more time spent indoors and CFA wants to make sure you don’t power a house fire.

There have been many instances that our favourite appliances cause house fires due to overheating or being damaged.

CFA Manager Community Safety Jude Kennedy said using damaged electrical equipment and appliances could result in fires; we urge people to ensure their appliances were in good working condition before plugging them in.

“People need to remember that when electrical appliances are left on for an extended period of time they could overheat and have disastrous effects,” he said.

Article continues below

“Make sure you turn off and unplug your electrical appliances before going to bed and when leaving your home unattended.

“Only use power boards according to manufacturers’ instructions, never overload and check regularly for damage.”

“Our firefighters don’t want anyone to come home to their house on fire, so spending the time to check your appliances condition and ensuring you turn them off properly is essential.”

Electrical Appliances safety tips:
• Always follow the manufacturers’ instructions when using any electrical appliance.
• Use low wattage globes in lamps.
• Ensure monitors, laptops, televisions and other equipment have good air flow around them and are not in confined spaces or covered.
• Turn off all electrical appliances at the power point when not in use.
• Only use certified electrical tradespeople to repair damaged/faulty electrical appliances, wiring or equipment.
• Don’t use double adaptors.
• Use power boards according to manufacturers’ instructions, never overload and check regularly for damage.

The Latest

Join Us